Back to News

Latest News - 21/06/2017

Disability Team End The Season On A High

The Annan Athletic Disability team ended their season on a high as they were confirmed as runner up in League One after the final round of games at Toryglen last Sunday.

The day didn’t start well for the team as they went down 1-0 to Stirling and to make matters worse the game also started late. This meant that by the time the team had finished, their second game was waiting to start. Credit to the team though as they got straight back on against the league leaders Blantyre. The team played well in the match but Blantyre have five players who are championship level and this is probably the reason why they have won the league convincingly, hopefully this can be addressed for next year. That said the boys held them off right until two minutes before time and a long ball bounced over Jason’s head and one of their best players got on the end of it and Michael stood no chance in the Annan goal.

The boys heads were down now and it was onto Firhill. Annan managed to put this behind them though and after an early goal and a lot of encouragement they managed to pick themselves up and started to play football again. Unfortunately, just as they thought that they were getting back into the groove goalkeeper Michael was penalised against with a very strange refereeing decision and from the resultant free kick Firhill equalised from the edge of the box. It was now 1-1 but the lads had their fighter spirit and huger back by now and got stuck in and suddenly they were 2 -1up and the day finally looked like it might be turning in their direction.

Next up was Dumbarton and this was a more straight forward game as the team triumphed 3 -0 before they went on to to face Claremont Colts. The Colts are always a tough opponent and although the game was end to end with both sides having chances it ended up goalless.

The last game of the day was against the Spartans Lions who are mainly big strong lads but that didn’t deter the Annan side who got stuck right in. Annan had their chances but just couldn’t hit the target and at the other goalkeeper Michael was in excellent form. The Annan’s keeper made it look like a training game and with it the score ended 0-0.

So off to the changing rooms the guys went but as the boys were getting changed there was a knock on the door and to their surprise and that of manager George Morrison they found out that they had ended the season as runners up in League One. The side might not of had the best of days but they had done enough and as the saying goes, “it’s Funny old game” and “it’s never over till the fat lady sings”.

A big well done to all the boys who’ve had a hard year but there’s no time to rest as the training now starts for Special Olympics on Tuesday but for now boys can enjoy the moment and a big pat on the back that’s thoroughly deserved after a long hard season.

Special thanks go out to Manager and coach George Morrison who has and continues to oversee the development of the side.

This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.