Final Result
4 0
7th September 2013
Annan Athletic FC v Formartine United FC
Ramsdens Cup Quarter final

Match Details

Annan Athletic FC v Formartine United FC


Annan Athletic - 4
Private: Kieran Brannan (73')
Private: Kenny MacKay (79')
Private: David Hopkirk (86')
Formartine United FC - 0


Peter Watson
Peter Weatherson
Steven Sloan
Iain Chisholm
Kenny MacKay
David Hopkirk
Scott Davidson (Kieran Brannan, 69)
Matthew Flynn (Josh Todd, 76)

Unused Subs



yellow card for at 54 minutes

Match Report

Annan Athletic negotiated this potential banana skin with a comfortable 4 goal victory over Highland League side Formartine United to earn a place in the semi final of the Ramsdens Cup. The game turned dramatically in Annan’s favour in the 52nd minute when Annan were awarded a penalty kick after goalkeeper Andrew Shearer denied Kenny Mackay a goal scoring opportunity and the incident resulted in the Formartine keeper being sent off and Ally Love converting the resulting spot kick. It was a defining moment in the match and from here on in Annan were ruthless and professional in their approach to the game.

The first half produced no goals and it was apparent that the occasion was getting to both sets of players who were unable to produce any rhythm to their play. Annan playing with the wind in their favour continually over hit the ball and were unable to unlock the threat of the pacy David Hopkirk and Kenny Mackay to any real effect. Chances were few and far between Peter Weatherson’s 5th minute free from a promising position sailed past the post. Ally Love worked his way into a good position in the 17th minute and from the resulting corner keeper Andrew Shearer muffled David Hopkirk’s effort. Kenny Arthur had his first real save in the 20th minute having to deal with a Neil McVittie shot. Hopkirk’s free kick minutes later after Scott Davidson had been fouled was disappointing and at the other end Michael Ewen finished a good move with a dangerous ball across the face of the goal but there was nobody at hand to take advantage. Hamish Munro’s header from a free kick in the 27th minute was directed into the arms of Kenny Arthur. As the game edged towards half time Peter Weatherson had a golden opportunity to break the deadlock when he rose unmarked at the back post from a free kick with keeper Shearer saving the day for Formartine.

Annan started the second half with more purpose and Kenny MacKay broke from the half way line to set up David Hopkirk who somehow shot past the post with only the keeper to beat. Annan continued to take the game to Formartine and in the 52nd minute MacKay’s pace exposed Hamish Munro and forced keeper Shearer into the unenviable position of having to deal with the pacy striker. McKay who had flicked the ball beyond the reach of shearer was then brought down and gave Annan the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot. Immediately Formartine were forced into a substitution with John Calder taking his place in the away goal but he couldn’t do anything to stop Ally Love’s spot kick. Annan continued to take the game to the Formartine and efforts from Love, Hopkirk and Mackay all came close before Annan doubled their lead in the 75th minute , Hopkirk released the ball into the path of substitute Kieran Brannon who rode a tackle before striking the ball past keeper John Calder. The introduction of Brannan and Josh Todd gave Annan more options and in the 77th minute Calder pulled off a fine save to deny MacKay . At the other end Kenny Arthur denied Daniel Park with a good save low down. Ally Love and Keiran Brannan combined to set up Todd in the 80th minute but the well struck shot from the edge of the box sailed over the bar. Man of the Match Kenny MacKay got his name on the score sheet in the 81st minute when he connected with a well directed pass from Love and the shot from 8 yards yards sailed into the roof of the net. Formatine’s misery was completed in the final minute when David Hopkirk connected with a Keiran Brannon low cross to direct the ball into the net from 6yards.

Annan boss Jim Chapman reflected -“ The most import aspect was that we got through the cup tie. Once we got the goal the belief came through and the quality of our play was good, I was very pleased at the way we went about the game and how professional we got after we got that break with the penalty. Until then it was a very nervous occasion and it could have went either way and you have to give Formantine credit for that. Once we got them in at half time and reassured them you could see the confidence in the way they started the second half. When you get to this stage in a cup you don’t get second chances and it was just about reassuring the players at half time and trying to take the tension out of the game. I was very pleased by the way they went at the game constantly and how to be ruthless when you have got the opposition down and you could just see Formartine draining, it is that sort of mentality that we are trying to instil in this group of players.

Formartine Boss Steve Paterson reflected back on what might have been, “there were uncanny similarities with what happened in our previous match against Elgin City, the game was in the balance at 1-1 Elgin got a man sent off and we went rampant , there was not a lot in the game. The sending off and the penalty killed us, after that it would have taken a minor miracle and that does not often happen. Annan fully exploited the extra man. I thought it would have been a close game which it was and in cup ties it is about what happens on the day and getting the rub of the green, the misfortune fell our way today. I have no complaints about the penalty and sending off we have really enjoyed being in the competition”.

Annan Athletic – K Arthur, I Chisholm, P Bradley, S Davidson (K Brannan 69 min), P Watson, S Sloan, K MacKay , M Flynn ( J Todd 76 min), P Weatherson, D Hopkirk , A Love (J Moffat 83 min) . Substitutes not used G Anderson and G Black.

Formartine United – A Shearer (J Calder 52 min), S Jeffrey, S Smith, C McKeown, H Munro (C Bagshaw 80 min), G Clark (J Calder 52 min), D Park, N McVittie, C Keith, M Ewen, J Hamill. Substitutes not used E Ritchie, R Campbell, R Davidson.

Referee E Anderson Assistants T Murphy and G Stuart

Attendance 506


Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.