Final Result
3 2
27th April 2019
Annan Athletic v Cowdenbeath
Ladbrokes League Two

Match Details

Annan Athletic v Cowdenbeath


Annan Athletic - 3
Aidan Smith (10')
Private: Christian Nade (21')
Aidan Smith (70')
Cowdenbeath FC - 2


Aidan McAdams
Jack Brannan
Peter Watson
Steven Swinglehurst
Lewis Strapp
Tony Wallace
Aidan Smith
Tommy Muir
David Wilson (Chris Johnston, 64)
Christian Nade (Chris Johnston, 64)
Owen Moxon (Ryan Sinnamon, 77)

Unused Subs

Darren Barr (Assistant Manager)
Ayrton Sonkur



Match Report

This five goal thriller proved to be an excellent advert for the League with Cowdenbeath storming back from a three goal deficit to score 2 goals in the last 20 minutes and put the result in the balance until the final whistle.

Annan boss Peter Murphy was forced to make changes but once again Annan did enough to record another victory in a match played under some terrible conditions throughout with the players having to contend with the Rain and Hail Storms.

Annan started the match promisingly and they were unlucky not to go ahead when Swinglehust’s header from a 9th minute corner was headed off the goal line but 2 minutes later Annan got their noses in front after Aidan Smith latched on to a Jack Brannan through ball to go one on one with keeper David McGurn and the Annan striker slipped the ball past the keeper.

Annan continued to take the game to Cowdenbeath and they doubled their lead in the 22nd minute when Lewis Strapp’s penetrating through ball picked out Christain Nade who calmly lofted the ball over the advancing keeper David McGurn.

Kyle Miller’s 32nd minute effort from the edge of the box pulled out a good save from Aidan McAdams. This was followed by a Tony Wallace effort from 30 yards out which was confidently saved by McGurn.

Christain Nade went close to grabbing his second goal and Annan’s third when his header from a Tony Wallace corner was cleared off the goal line. This was followed by a Tommy Muir header from another Wallace corner which went narrowly past the post from point blank range.

Annan continued to put pressure on Cowdenbeath at the start of the second half Aidan Smith should have done better when he was presented with a one on one with keeper McGurn this was followed by a Nade overhead effort which failed to hit the target. At the opposite end Buchanan’s shot was deflected for a corner kick.

Aidan Smith increased Annan’s lead from close range in the 70th minute following a corner when the Annan striker latched on to Tony Wallace’s flick. At this stage the game looked all over for Cowdenbeath but this was the point in the match where the visitors staged a great comeback and a minute after Smiths goal Jordan Allan picked up Buchanan’s pass to finish with a stunning shot from the edge of the box which found the corner of the net.

All of a sudden the momentum of the game changed and the visitors started to take the game to Annan, Jordan Allen pulled another goal back in the 79th minute when his curling shot from the edge of the box nestled in the corner of the net after the ball was deflected off the post.

Annan looked to be hanging on and it took a good save from McAdams in the 83rd minute to deny Blair Malcolm and in the 88th minute Robbie Buchanan was unlucky to see his effort go narrowly past the post.

Annan substitute Chris Johnston set up Aidan Smith in the final minute but the Annan strikers effort went narrowly past the target.

Annan Athletic – Aiden McCadams, Jack Brannan, Lewis Strapp ,David Wilson ( Kyle Bradley 64min ), Peter Watson, Steven Swinglehurst, Tony Wallace, Owen Moxon (Ryan Sinnamon 77 min), Aiden Smith, Christian Nade (Chris Johnston 64 min ) . Subs not used, Ayrton Sonkur and Darren Barr

Cowdenbeath – David McGurn ,Fraser Mullan, Luc Bollan, Jamie Piper, Jamie Todd, Robbie Deas, David Cox , Kyle Miller, Jordan Allan, Robbie Buchanan, Blair Malcolm ( Gary Fraser 77 min ). Subs not used Harvey Swann, Aaron Lennox, Ryan Connelly, Kyle Sneddon .

Referee – Scott Lambie Assistants – Michael Banks and Chris Newman

Crowd 365

Peterhead failed to lift the title after Stirling Albion grabbed an injury time equaliser, Clyde kept the pressure on Peterhead with a 3-0 victory over Queens Park at the National Stadium. Albion Rovers managed to avoid the play offs after recording a convincing 3-0 victory at Berwick Rangers. Edinburgh City and Elgin City drew 1-1. These results leave everything up in the air until the final fixtures are decided next Saturday. Annan Athletic could finish in 3rd position provided they defeat Albion Rovers and Stirling Albion defeat Edinburgh City and Clyde could lift the title provided they defeat Cowdenbeath and Queens Park defeat Peterhead.

Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.