Final Result
1 0
30th October 2021
Annan Athletic v Cowdenbeath
cinch League Two

Match Details

Annan Athletic v Cowdenbeath


Annan Athletic - 1
Lewis Hunter (58')
Cowdenbeath FC - 0


Greg Fleming
Roan Steele
Steven Swinglehurst
Matty Douglas
Jordan Lowdon
Owen Moxon
Rob McCartney
Aidan Smith
Michael Garrity (Chris Johnston, 73)
Tony Wallace (Dominic Docherty, 73)
Lewis Hunter (Kyle Fleming, 89)

Unused Subs

Ryan Adamson
Charlie Barnes
Charlie Birch
Jack Purdue


yellow card for Private: Jordan Lowdon at 90 minutes

Match Report

Following their Scottish Cup exploits against Jeanfiled Swifts, Annan were more or less back to full strength. Greg Fleming and Steven Swingehurst were back in the starting line up along with loanee Morton player Michael Garrity. Cowdenbeath’s stand in manager Dave McGurn had a full strength side to chose from.

Garrity gets his first start for Annan

Annan Athletic started the match on the attack and for the opening 10 minutes they forced the visitors back forcing several corner kicks but although there were several close shaves Cowdenbeath survived this anxious spell.

After this opening spell Cowdenbeath never looked in any danger of conceding, Annan’s Michael Garitty carried the biggest threat down the left but Annan’s lack of penetration up front was a concern.

The nearest any team came to breaking the deadlock was in the 31st minute when Lewis Hunter’s effort was cleared off the goal line. Cowdenbeath continued to defend resolutely, almost on the 45 min mark Michael Garrity made a darting dangerous move down the left cutting in and setting the ball back for McCartney who failed to get in the end of the move.

Missed chance for McCartney

Annan started the second half on the front foot and they came close in the 50th minute when Matty Douglas connected with a Roan Steele throw in with the header striking  the outside of the post. Annan continued to press forward looking for the opening. Moxon tried his luck with a low drive from 20 yards but the effort did not trouble Cameron Gill in the Cowdenbeath goal.

Smith skips past the defender

The decisive goal arrived in the 58th minute, it was a well worked goal made down the right flank which saw Aidan Smith combining with Roan Steele and Steele picked out Lewis Hunter who anticipated the cross at the back post to head the ball into the net from close range.

Cowdenbeath responded and Greig Fleming pulled off his first save of the day pushing Liam Buchanan’s low shot round the post for a corner. Cowdenbeath made a couple of changesin the 65th minute with Hutton and Coulson being introduced at the expense of Bobby Barr and Liam Buchanan.

They were positive changes from the visitors and they certainly made Cowdenbeath more of a threat with the visitors starting to get  a foothold on the match and in the 70th minute Craig Barr set up Kris Renton whos well struck effort went agonisingly wide of the target. It was a let off for Annan and minutes later Fleming pulled off a good save to deny Craig Barr.

Annan made changes with Johnston and Docherty being introduced at the expense of Wallace and Garrity in the 73rd minute, Kris Renton’s header went close as the visitors pressed for an opening but in the end Annan saw out the match to keep their push for a top four spot on track.

On this showing Cowdenbeath are in a false position propping up the and although Annan never looked like losing  game they found Cowdenbeath difficult team to break down and the move that led to Annan’s goal was fitting to win the match.

Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.