Final Result
3 3
30th August 2014
Annan vs Elgin
Ladbrokes League Two

Match Details

Annan vs Elgin


Annan Athletic - 3
Elgin City FC - 3


Alex Mitchell
Peter Watson
Steven Black
Iain Chisholm
Martin McNiff
Ryan McStay
Josh Todd
Matthew Flynn
David Hopkirk
Kieran Brannan (Steven Sloan, 76)
Kenny MacKay (Derek Carcary, 76)

Unused Subs

Jake Gemmill
Dan Wood
Steven Logan
Jordan Brown
Daniel Wadge



Match Report

Annan Athletic’s worrying league start finally got off the ground after they fought out a hard earned draw against a very competent and determined Elgin team who contributed towards an excellent entertaining spectacle which had the fans off their seats right up to the final whistle.

Annan welcomed the return of striker Kenny MacKay for the first time this season and there was no doubt his inclusion gave Annan an extra dimension up front which has been lacking since the start of the season.
Annan got off to a dream start with a goal inside 60 seconds, it was a goal created down the left and ended with Hopkirk picking out the unmarked Josh Todd who had eluded his markers to finish with a simple side footer past Michael Fraser from eight yards.
Brian Cameron almost replied immediately with a snap shot from the edge of the box which flashed past the post.

The equaliser arrived in the 4th minute and once again Annan’s defensive frailties were exposed when Marvin Andrews powered in unmarked to connect with Archie McPhee’s corner swung in from the left to send in a bullet header into the corner of the net.
Annan responded to the set back forcing a couple of corners with Matty Flynn testing keeper Fraser in the 21st minute. Elgin’s best move of the half deserved better when a neat move on the edge of the box involving Sutherland and McPhee opened up the Annan defence but the well struck shot from Elgin’s man of the match Archie McPhee flashed past the upright. At the other end the impressive Josh Todd sent in an inviting low cross which keeper Fraser did well to deny Matty Flynn a scoring opportunity.
Annan went ahead in the 34th minute and it was an opportunist goal scored by Kenny Mackay who picked up the ball wide on the left and his pace took him into what appeared to be difficult position and he ended the move scoring from the bye line 15 yards from goal. It was a superb finish from a very difficult position which left keeper Michael Fraser bemused and wondering how the shot beat him and found the net. Ryan McStay forced the Elgin keeper into action in the 36th minute as Annan went all out to add to their talley.
Elgin were then denied by the woodwork when Daniel Moore’s well struck shot struck the outside of the post and moments later Steven Black cleared a Moore effort off the goal line as the visitors went all out to square the match before half time.
The second half started positively for Elgin as they took the game to Annan and it in the 52nd minute their patience was rewarded when Brian Cameron cut in from the right and as the player made a bee line for goal Martin McNiff’s conceded a penalty and Craig Gunn converted the spot kick to square the game at 2-2. Minutes later the Annan defence was opened up when Brian Cameron’s shot struck the outside of the post with Mitchell well beaten. It was a real let off for Annan but they responded magnificently when a penetrating Hopkirk run finished with a near post cross which found Todd and his effort was smothered for a corner. At the other end Mitchell pulled off an excellent save to deny Shane Sutherland.
The match was flowing from end to end and it took a superb save from Fraser to deny Hopkirk who was clean through on goal. Then at the other end Elgin put an impressive move together to once again open up the Annan defence ending with Archie McPhee striking gold in the 73rd minute when he finished clinically with a low 20 yard shot which flashed past Mitchell ending up in the corner of the net to put the visitors ahead 3-2. Annan’s Kenny MacKay then had a glorious opportunity to square the game a minute later when Ryan McStay’s superb cross a yard from the goal line flashed in front of MacKay’s head much to the despair of the home support.
Minutes later and Annan introduced Derek Carcary and Steven Sloan for Keiran Brannan and Kenny Mackay, it proved an inspired substitution by the manager as within seconds of his introduction Carcary got his account at Annan up and running when he was released clean through on goal and he finished clinically slipping the ball past the advancing keeper from 8 yards.
With 14 minutes of the game remaining Fraser who had an excellent match for the visitors pulled off 2 fine saves both from Hopkirk and at the other end Alex Mitchell denied Brian Cameron as both sides had to be content with a share of the points.
ANNAN ATHLETIC: Alex Mitchell, Steven Black, Iain Chisholm, Peter Watson, Martin McNiff, Matty Flynn , Ryan McStay, Josh Todd , Kenny Mackay (S Sloan 76 min),David Hopkirk; Keiran Brannan (D Carcary 76min). SUBS NOT USED: Jake Gemmell, Steven Logan, Jordan Brown, Dan Wood, Dan Wadge.

Goal scorers- Todd (1) Mackay (33) Carcary (77)

ELGIN CITY :Michael Fraser, Graeme Beveridge, Gordon Finlayson, Mathew Cooper, Marvin Andrews, Mark Nicholson, C Gunn (Graham Bayne 79min), Archie McPhee, Brian Cameron, Shane Sutherland, Daniel Moore (Ally McKenzie 83min) SUBS NOT USED: Ceiran McLean, Darryl McHardy, Stewart Black, Dennis Wyness, Damien Wojcil.

Goals scorers- Andrew (5) Gunn (53 pen) MacPhee (73)

Referee- S Kirkland

Attendance- 341

Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.