Final Result
3 0
8th September 2018
Arbroath FC v Annan Athletic FC
Gayfield Park

Match Details

Arbroath FC v Annan Athletic FC


Annan Athletic - 0
Arbroath FC - 3


Jonny Jamieson
Scott Hooper
Peter Watson
Ayrton Sonkur
James Creaney
Owen Moxon
Ryan Sinnamon
Scott Roberts
Tony Wallace (Aidan Smith, 66)
Ross Ferguson (Tommy Muir, 76)
Max Wright (Chris Johnston, 76)

Unused Subs

Peter Murphy
Kevin Rutkiewicz (Assistant)
David Wilson


yellow card for Private: Ryan Sinnamon at 40 minutes
yellow card for Private: Owen Moxon at 43 minutes
yellow card for Private: Peter Watson at 81 minutes

Match Report

Annan crashed out of the Irn Bru Cup against a well organized Arbroath side. The Annan starting eleven showed changes with Moxon, Roberts, Ferguson and Wright all being introduced in an effort to turn around last weeks disappointing defeat at the hands of Clyde.

Arbroath were always going to be a hard nut for Annan to crack, after an excellent start to the season the Arbroath team are sitting proudly at the top of the League 1 with Manager Dick Campbell and forward Ryan Wallace deservedly receiving the SPFL Manager and Player of the month.

Annan faced an anxious opening spell, Ryan McCord latched on to a Linn through ball which caught the Annan defence square but McCord’s effort went over the bar. Annan were then dealt a huge blow in the 8th minute after Bobby Linn collected the ball following a corner kick and brushed aside the challenge of Hooper to finish with a low shot through a ruck of players and into the corner of net from 15 yards. It was just the start the home team were looking for to settle their nerves.

Annan responded with a move down the left through Tony Wallace who finished with a shot over the bar. John Jamieson then pulled off an important save to deny Thomas O’Brein. Darren Hill then pulled off a save at the other end tipping over Ryan Sinnamon’s effort from the edge of the box.

A surging run from O’Brein won a free kick with Jamieson pulling off an important save to deny McCord. At the other end Max Wright managed to get in a dangerous cross the to the back post but Arbroath defended the position. Arbroath finished the half with a promising move which saw an inviting ball played into the heart of the Annan defence.

Arbroath started the second half taking the game to Annan but they found it difficult to break down the Annan defence. The home team eventually scored the important second goal in the 71st minute when Danny Denholm collected a loose ball from a tussel between Creaney and McCord with the Arbroath man finishing with a low shot past Jamieson.

Annan had jusifyable claims for a penalty brushed aside after Little appeared to push substitute Tommy Muir in the back with Muir zooming in on goal. Annan’s misery was completed in the 83rd minute when Michael McKenna latched on to a cross ball to score from close range.

Arbroath – Darren Hill, David Gold ( Mark Whatley 54 min), Colin Hamilton , Rickie Little, Thomas O,Brien, Finn Grham, Danny Denholm, Ryan McCord, Bobby Linn (Omar Kadier 63min), Kane Hester , Michael McKenna, . Subs not used – Dorris, Swankie, Wallace and Jamieson.

Annan Athletic – John Jamieson, Scott Hooper, James Creaney, Ayrton Sonkur, Peter Watson, Owen Moxon, Scott Roberts, Ryan Sinnamon, Tony Wallace (Aidan Smith 66 min ), Ross Ferguson ( Tommy Muir 76 min), Max Wright ( Christopher Johnston 76 min). Subs not used- David Wilson, Peter Murphy.

Referee – Colin Steven

Crowd 524

Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.