Final Result
1 0
14th October 2017
Berwick Rangers vs Annan Athletic
Shielfield Park
Scottish Cup

Match Details

Berwick Rangers vs Annan Athletic


Annan Athletic - 0
Berwick Rangers FC - 1


Alex Mitchell
Ayrton Sonkur
Jack Brannan
James Creaney
Steven Swinglehurst
Owen Moxon
Blair Henderson
Aidan Smith
Scott Roberts (Brandon Luke, 69)
Daniel Orsi (Rabin Omar, 77)
Ryan Sinnamon (John Cunningham, 90)

Unused Subs

Jim Atkinson
Ellis Pearson
Scott Hooper
Peter Watson


yellow card for Private: James Creaney at 55 minutes
yellow card for Private: Owen Moxon at 87 minutes
yellow card for Steven Swinglehurst at 88 minutes

Match Report

Annan Athletic crashed out of the William Hill Scottish Cup after they were defeated by a single goal scored in the 72nd minute by Pat Scullion. It was a match which lacked real excitement and scoring opportunities, and a game which neither team could take any comfort from but the main object was to progress to the next round and Berwick just edged it on the day.

Annan boss Peter Murphy made 4 changes to his line up dropping Jim Atkinson, Peter Watson, Rabin Omar and Scott Hooper to the bench, promoting Alex Mitchell, James Creaney, Ayrton Sonka and Blair Henderson to the starting line up.

Annan started brightly with Aidan Smith blasting over the bar in the opening minute closely followed by efforts from Swinglehurst and Sonka. Minutes later Creaney conceded a free kick on the edge of the box but Berwick failed to capitalise on the opportunity, Aaron Murrell’s low shot went narrowly past in the 10th minute and then Swinglehurst’s tackle on McKinley was timely to deny the Berwick player.

Blair Henderson almost broke the deadlock in the 39th minute after Ryan Sinnamon’s free kick to the heart of the Berwick defence caused all sorts of problems with Henderson’s net bound effort being cleared off the goal line.

Annan finished the half on the attack but without creating many opportunities.

The second half saw Berwick gain the initiative but without causing any real problems, Berwick goalkeeper Robbie McCrorrie pulled off possibly his only save of the game when he diverted Ayrton Sonkurs left foot volley from a corner kick in the 60th minute.

The defining goal arrived in the 72nd minute from a set piece after Lavery’s free kick from wide on the left was blocked but the ball broke kindly for Pat Scullion who slotted the ball into the corner of the net form close range. It was a rare scoring opportunity but it defined the outcome of the match.

Annan made changes in an effort to try and save the match but Berwick stuck to their task and stifled any threat that Annan posed. It was a match Annan will want to put behind them very quickly and Berwick can look forward to the next round of the William Hill Scottish Cup with renewed optimisim.

Berwick Rangers –Robbie McCorie, Oliver Fleming, Stephen Notman, Kevin McKinlay, Darren Lavery , Michael McKenna ( Andrew Irving 90 min), Gary Phillips, Kieran Stewart , Chris McDonald , Aaron Murrell (Steven Thomson 67 min) , Pat Scullion. Subs not used Kevin Waugh, Jonny Fairburn, Jason Cook, Sean Brennan GK.

Annan Athletic Alex Mitchell, Jack Brannon, James Creaney, Owen Moxon, Ayrton Sonkur, Steven Swinglehurst, Ryan Sinnamon ( John Cunningham 91 min), Daniel Orsi ( Rabin Omar 80 min), Aidan Smith, Blair Henderson, Scott Roberts (Brandon Luke 70 min). Subs not used Jim Atkinson, Ellis Pearson, Peter Watson, Scott Hooper.

Referee – Graham Beaton Assistants – Michael Banks and Mark McHendry.

Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.