Final Result
0 2
26th October 2019
Brechin City v Annan Athletic
Glebe Park
Round Two Replay

Match Details

Brechin City v Annan Athletic


Annan Athletic - 2
Private: Scott McLean (61')
Private: Scott McLean (90')
Brechin City FC - 0


Kelby Mason
Steven Swinglehurst
Ayrton Sonkur
Kyle Bradley
Matty Douglas
Jamie Ballantyne
Kyle Wilkie
Scott McLean
Jordan Wooding-Holt (Broque Watson, 80)
Tommy Muir (Christian Nade, 87)
Nathan Flanagan (Niyah Joseph, 90+3)

Unused Subs

Chris Smith
Euan Griffiths
Jamie Walker
Lewis Mclear


yellow card for Private: Jamie Ballantyne at 87 minutes
yellow card for Private: Tommy Muir at 87 minutes

Match Report

Annan won their way into the third round of the William Hill Scottish Cup courtesy of a second half double from Scott McLean in this replayed match following the 2-2 draw last week.

(Photo: Derek Watt) 

Annan boss Peter Murphy made three changes to his starting line up following last weeks game with Steven Swinglehurst, Jordan Holt and Nathan Flanagan all given the green light ahead of Broque Watson , Lewis McLear and Darren Barr.

The changes certainly worked for Annan who dictated the play for large spells in the match against a lack lustre Brechin City team who found it difficult to penetrate the resolute Annnan defence and it was difficult to recall the home side seriously test the on loan Hearts keeper Kelby Mason.

Annan with Steven Swinglehurst back in at the centre of the Annan defence controlled the threat of striker Paul McManus who was a thorn in the side to Annan in the previous match. The first half produced few moments of inspiration, in fact it was Brechin who had an opportunity in the 10th minute when Jordan Holts attempted pass back was short but Kelby Mason was quick to avert the threat. Nathan Flannigan won his way into a promising position in the 25th minute but Lewis McMinn was well placed to save the effort. Brechin City forced their first corner in the 30th minute which was defended.

Scott McLean was quick to try his luck at the start of the second half with McMinn comfortably dealing with the effort. Annan’s promising start to the second half continued with McLean’s 55th minute effort failing to find the target. Annan got the breakthrough in the 60th minute when Nathan Flannigan’s run down the right ended with a square ball to Scott McLean who slotted the ball into the net from 8 yards.

Brechin worked their way back into the match forcing a corner in the 64th minute with Page’s header being comfortably saved by Mason. Tommy Muir’s header in the 69th minute failed to test the Brechin keeper. Annan forced several corner kicks in the 74th minute but the Brechin defence stood firm under pressure.

Brechin introduced Ross McCord in the 75th minute replacing Paul Allen. Brechin’s best chance of the match fell to Knox in the 79thminute but Mason comfortably dealt with the effort.

As the match entered the final 10 minutes Annan made their first change with Broque Watson replacing Jordan Holt and shortly after Christian Nade replaced Tommy Muir up front as Annan looked to run the clock down and as the match entered the final minute Scott McLean’s penetrating run into the box resulted in Chris McLaughlin conceding a penalty with his challenge on the Annan wide man. McLean converted the penalty to ensure that Annan progressed into the third round where they will now meet Edinburgh City on the 23rd November.

BRECHIN CITY- Lewis McMinn, Sean McIntosh, Chris McLaughlin, Paul Allan ( Ryan McCord 75 min ), Jonathon Page, Scott Reekie, Olly Hamilton ( Emil Ngoy 71 min ),  Kieran Inglis, Paul McManus, Ross Crawford (Ross Brown HT ), Matthew Knox, SUBS NOT USED- Lee Duncanson, Jamie Reid, Ross Sinclair GK , Luke Watt.

ANNAN ATHLETIC- Kelby Mason, Matthew Douglas, Jamie Ballantyne, Kyle Bradley, Ayrton Sonkur, Steven Swinglehurst,  Scott McLean, Kyle Wilkie, Tommy Muir (Christian Nade 82mins),  , Jordan Holt ( Broque Watson 80 min ) ,  Nathan Flanagan ( NiyahJoseph 85mins ), SUBS NOT USED- Chris Smith GK, Jamie Walker, Lewis McLear, Ewan Grifiths,,

REFEREE- Colin Steven   Assistants Alistair Mather, Jonathan Bell

It was a day of shocks in the Second Round of the Scottish Cup with 2 SPFL teams crashing out of the competition, Penicuik Athletic defeated the high flyng Stenhousemuir by 3-0 and  Cowdenbeath suffered a similar fate going down by the same score to Broxburn Athletic . Albion Rovers made no mistake defeating Fort Wiiliam 5-0. Gala Fairydean failed to make home advantage pay going down 2-1 against Formartine United.

In the only SPFL2 match played Elgin City lifted the points with a 3-1 home victory over Queens Park. Annan face the long trip North next week to play Elgin City and this is followed by a match at Galabank the following week 9th November.

Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.