Final Result
1 1
27th September 2014
Clyde vs Annan
Broadwood Stadium
Ladbrokes League Two

Match Details

Clyde vs Annan


Annan Athletic - 1
Private: Trialist (52')
Clyde FC - 1


Alex Mitchell
Peter Watson
Steven Black
Iain Chisholm
Martin McNiff
Ryan McStay
Josh Todd
Peter Weatherson
David Hopkirk (Derek Carcary, 45)
Steven Logan (Kieran Brannan, 63)
Stuart McColm (Scott Davidson, 83)

Unused Subs

Jake Gemmill
Dan Wood
Rabin Omar
Zak Caldwell


yellow card for Private: Peter Watson

Match Report

Annan stretched their unbeaten run to four matches in a dour match at Broadwood on Saturday. It was a game that neither team did enough to win, although Clyde will no doubt look back to the 76th minute when Scott McManus missed a golden opportunity by blasting over the bar from 6 yards . This incident apart neither of the 2 keepers had any serious saves to make in a match which both defences stood firm.

Clyde manager Barry Ferguson took the field for the first time since being appointed as Clyde’s player-manager, with Scott McManus also returning to the side following injury. Annan boss Jim Chapam was hampered in his team selection with Kenny MacKay , Matthew Flynn, Steven Swinglehurst and Steven Sloan all being unavailable resulting in Ryan McStay and Steven Logan being given the key central midfield roles.

Annan started very positively and for the opening 10 minutes they dictated play forcing a couple of corners which were well defended , in the 8th minute Stuart McClolm and Martin McNiff combined for McNiff to send in a low dangerous cross. Alex Mitchell was called into action dealing with a high cross ball in the 12th minute . Josh Todd came close when his header in the 14th minute went past the post. A minute later Peter Weatherson tried his luck with a shot which almost turned into a good cross.

Clyde forced their first corner in the 23rd minute but the Annan defence dealt with the situation. Peter Watson was then given a yellow card after his first touch let him down in the 27th minute. Annan forced another couple of corners one of which fell to the feet of Steven Black who’s 25 yard effort sailed past the post. A minute later and keeper Alan Martin dealt confidently with a Peter Wetherson free kick.

The game appeared to be heading towards a goalless first half when Clyde struck in the 38th minute. The goal was created down the right and ended with Smith blasting the ball into the roof of the net from 8 yards after the Annan defence failed to deal with a cross swung in from the right and the ball fell to the unmarked Andrew Gibson at the back post who laid the ball on a tee for Smith who made no mistake.

Annan withdrew Hopkirk at half time with Derek Carcary taking up his role on the left and Clyde introducing Brian McQueen at the expense of David Marsh. Within minutes Barry Ferguson was replaced by David Gray.

Clyde created a promising opening in the 51st minute with Scott Ferguson heading wide from a good Scott McManus cross. A minute later and Annan won a penalty kick when Derek Carcary was brought down by a rash Brian McQueen challenge. Peter Wetherson converted the spot kick tucking the ball into the corner of the net to square the match. Annan were then dealt a further blow when the effective Steven Logan had to leave the field in the 64th minute with a foot injury to be replaced by Kieran Brannan.

The re-arranged Annan team were then subjected to a sustained period of pressure by Clyde with Scott McManus shooting over the bar in the 75th minute followed by the miss from McManus a minute later. It was a let off for Annan, who then started to impose themselves on the game. Wetherson came close with a 25 yard free kick in the 81st minute and at the other end a snap shot by McManus failed to hit the target. Annan forced a couple of late corners but the game was destined to end in a draw.

CLYDE. Alan Martin, Scott Durie, Aiden McILduff, Craig Halknet, David Marsh (Brian McQueen 45 min), Barry Ferguson (David Gray 47 min), Scott Ferguson ( Kevin Watt 67 minutes), Stephen O’Donnell, Scott McManus, Euan Smith, Andrew Gibson. Substitutes not used Jamie Barclay, Michael Daly, Ross McKinnon , Euan Murray .

Clyde goal-scorer-E Smith 38min

ANNAN ATHLETIC: Alex Mitchell, Steven Black, Ian Chisholm, Martin McNiff, Peter Watson, Ryan McStay, Josh Todd, Steven Logan (Kieran Brannon 64 min), Peter Weatherson, David Hopkirk ( Derek Carcary 45 min), Stuart McColm ( Scott Davidson 84 min) Subs not used Jake Gemmel GK, Zak Caldwell, Dan Wood, Robine Omar.

Annan goal-scorer-P Wetherson 52 min (pen)

REFEREE: David Munro Assistants Stephen Mitchell and Mark McHendry

Attendance 605

Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.