Final Result
1 3
28th August 2021
Cowdenbeath v Annan Athletic
Central Park
cinch League Two

Match Details

Cowdenbeath v Annan Athletic


Annan Athletic - 3
Private: Tony Wallace (49')
Private: Iain Anderson (53')
Private: Tony Wallace (81')
Cowdenbeath FC - 1


Greg Fleming
Steven Swinglehurst
Matty Douglas
Jordan Lowdon
Owen Moxon
Chris Johnston
Charlie Barnes (Roan Steele, 45)
Dominic Docherty (Kyle Fleming, 78)
Iain Anderson (Tommy Goss, 78)
Tony Wallace (Charlie Birch, 85)
Aidan Smith (Rob McCartney, 85)

Unused Subs

Ryan Adamson
Lewis Hunter
Jack Purdue


yellow card for Private: Dominic Docherty at 26 minutes
yellow card for Private: Steven Swinglehurst at 28 minutes
yellow card for Aidan Smith at 72 minutes

Match Report

Annan Athletic’s impressive run continued at a sun soaked Central Park on Saturday, the grass pitch was in perfect condition for both teams.


The Annan line up was unchanged for the fifth time this season it was however a game where Annan started off dreadfully and they found themselves a goal down after only 4 minutes when Liam Buchannan won his way past Charlie Barnes down the left to finish with a perfect cross to the head of Robbie Buchanan who guided the ball past the diving Greig Fleming.

It was just the start that the home team were dreaming about but not the one Annan had hoped for.

It was a fantastic start from the home team who were denied a goal in the 2nd minute when Fleming came to Annan’s rescue tipping over the bar Kyle Millers header. The pressure on the Annan defence was relentless from the home team as Annan struggled to put their game together. Owen Moxon then denied Liam Buchanan in the 19th minute when he cleared his net bound header off the goal line.

Jordon Lowdon being put to the test in the first half

Annan received 2 yellow cards within the space of 2 minutes when Docherty and Swinglehurst went into the referees book for petulant fouls. The home team looked confident but Annan managed to see out the rest of the half without conceding again

It was however a different story in the second half as Annan completely reversed the situation to take the game to the home team. Charlie Birch was replaced by Rowan Steele at half time and within 4 minutes Annan were awarded a penalty kick after Robbie Buchanan needlessly pushed Tony Wallace in the back and Wallace hammered  the spot kick past Cameron Gill.

Wallace slots home from the spot

Cowdenbeath now looked the team all at sea and 4 minutes later Annan scored again when Moxon’s corner was powerfully headed into the net by Iain Anderson. The match had now completely reversed with Annan controlling the game and taking it to the home team. Fraser Mullen was shown a yellow card for a petulant tackle on Aidan Smith in the 59th minute.

Anderson heads Annan into the lead

Annan continued to push forward, Matty Douglas connected with Moxon’s corner kick in the 68th minute but the header went narrowly over as Annan pressed to increase their lead. Annan survived a scare in the 75th minute when Douglas cleared Liam Buchanan’s effort off the goal line as the home team made a rare foray into the Annan half.

Tommy Goss and Kyle Fleming were introduced in the 78th minute for Iain Anderson and Domnick Docherty and within 3 minutes Tony Wallace secured the points with a brilliant low shot from the edge of the box.

Tony Wallace seals the points with a brace 

Robert McCartney and Charlie Birch were introduced in the 85th minute and as the match entered the closing stages Tommy Goss squandered a great chance to increase Annan’s advantage when he elected to go for goal rather than cutting the ball back to McCartney.

Fleming then pulled off a good save with his feet to deny Liam Buchannan to complete another fine day on the road for Annan.

Back to Fixtures & Results
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.