Berwick Rangers FC 0
Annan Athletic FC 3
25th August 2018
Scott Hooper,  Peter Watson,  Ayrton Sonkur,  James Creaney,  Owen Moxon,  David Wilson,  Tony Wallace,  Chris Johnston,  Aidan Smith (Max Wright, 63),  Tommy Muir (Ross Ferguson, 63),  
Peter Murphy (Manager),  Robbie Minto,  Jack Brannan,  Ryan Sinnamon,  Scott Roberts,  

Annan made the trip to Berwick on Saturday coming off the back of some decent form having recorded 2 victories and a draw out of their first 3 league games and they returned from Shielfield Park with another valuable league victory which keeps Annan well positioned in the league.


The Annan line up showed three changes from the team which defeated Queens Park with Club Captain Peter Watson replacing the injured Steven Swinglehurst, Owen Moxon replacing Ryan Sinnamon and Tony Wallace replacing Scott Roberts but the changes made little difference to the manner in which Annan approached this game.

The match was only eight minutes old when Annan went ahead, it was a route one goal which caught the Berwick defence square after Alex Mitchell launched a long ball which the alert Aidan Smith latched on to and the Annan striker did not need a second chance finishing with a clinical lob the ball over the advancing Ally Adams and into the empty net. It was a early blow to Berwick who had started well.

Goal scoring opportunities were rare in the first half and Berwick’s only real opportunity of the half resulted in Alex Mitchell having to be alert to deny a penetrating through ball aimed at Aaron Murrell. Annan for their part rarely threatened Berwick at the back although it would be fair to say that Annan looked more than comfortable and were well organized throughout the half containing anything Berwick could throw at them.

The second half started well for the home team and in the opening minute Annan could consider themselves fortunate after Alex Mitchell spilled a low shot from Aaron Murrell and Gary Phillips following up slotted the ball into the net from close range only to see the goal chalked offside. Minutes later Mitchell and Murrell were caught in a tussle with left Mitchell nursing an injury to his hand.

Berwick continued to take the game to Annan forcing a couple of corner kicks which Annan defended and then Annan struck again with a well constructed move down the left flank which saw Tony Wallace tease the full back before floating over a great ball to the back post and Tommy Muir rose superbly to head the ball into the top of the net. It was an important moment in the match which gave Annan breathing space and to be honest it came against the run of play.

Annan boss Peter Murphy then brought on substitutes Max Wright and Ross Fergusson, a move contemplated moments just before Annan increased their lead. Fergusson was soon into the action laying ball back into the path of Owen Moxon who’s way word shot went wide of the target.

Berwick tried hard to penetrate the resolute Annan defence forcing several late corners with Mitchell pulling off a very good save to deny Paul Willis. As the match entered the final 5 minutes Jordan Orru was unlucky when his header hit the side netting.

Annan however had the final say in the match when 2 minutes from time Max Wright was fouled on the edge of the box by Oliver Fleming and David Wilson’s well placed free kick beat the wall and the keeper to give Annan a comfortable three goal victory over their border neighbours.

The 3-0 score line possibly flattered Annan but they always looked in control of this game against a Berwick team who are still trying find some form that will get them more points on the board.

Berwick Rangers – Alasdair Adams, Oliver Fleming, Joran Orru, Declan O’Kane, Jamie Todd (John Neill 79 min), Aaron Murrell (Darren Lavery 74 min), Paul Willis, Gary Phillips, Jack Cook, Daryl Healy, Ross Brown. Subs not used Sean Brennan ,Jamie Chapman, Grant Rose, Jack O’Gilvie.

Annan – Alex Mitchell, Scott Hooper, James Creaney, David Wilson, Peter Watson, Ayrton Sonkur , Chris Johnston , Owen Moxon, Aidan Smith ( Ross Fergusson 65 min), Tony Wallace, Tommy Muir (Max Wright 65 min ). Subs not used Robbie Minto, Scott Roberts, Ryan Sinnamon, Jack Brannan, Peter Murphy.

Referee – David Dickenson Assistants – Gary Hilland and Tony Fullerton.

Crowd 507


Site Map