Brechin City FC 4
Annan Athletic FC 2
9th December 2014
Alex Mitchell,  Iain Chisholm,  Martin McNiff,  Peter Watson,  Steven Black,  Josh Todd,  David Hopkirk,  Peter Weatherson,  Steven Swinglehurst (Stuart McColm, 45),  Steven Sloan (Scott Davidson, 66),  Steven Logan (Ryan McStay, 45),  
Jake Gemmill,  Matthew Flynn,  Kieran Brannan,  Rabin Omar,  

Annan Athletic travelled to Glebe Park on Tuesday evening to take on Brechin City in the 4th Round of the William Hill Scottish Cup. Falkirk awaited the victors and after eleven minutes Annan’s task became monumentous in proportion.

Brechin opened the scoring in 4mins when Andy Jackson unmarked at the back post headed McNeil’s cross past Annan keeper Alex Mitchell. Jackson then doubled the home side’s lead as he spun free of his markers to drill home.

Annan had a chance in 18mins when Weatherson’s free kick was deflected for a corner. Brechin pretty much put the game to bed in 27 minutes when Barr outstripped the Annan defence, his cross evaded everyone except Jackson who fired home to complete his hat-trick.

McStay and McColm were introduced at half-time at the expense of Swinglehirst and Logan. Annan were certainly now the livelier of the two teams with the black and golds creating a number of half-chances.

Davidson was introduced to the fray in 67mins and within a minute he struck home a glorious shot from the edge of the box with his first touch of the ball. Annan were enjoying their best spell of the game but any hopes of a comeback were quickly squashed in the 72nd minute when Colin Hamilton popped up with a free header at the back post.

With 14 minutes of normal time left Hopkirk worked a short corner move before driving home from the apex of the penalty box. Annan continued to enjoy good possession but despite a number of chances they just couldn’t pull Brechin back. A Watson header was saved and on another day Peter Weatherson could easily have grabbed a hat-trick. The damage was done early in the game and all hopes of a record –breaking spot in the last 16 of the Cup had long evaporated.

Brechin City: Smith, McNeil, Hamilton, Maclean, McLauchlan, Fusco, Trouten, McAusland (Cameron 87mins), Jackson (Thomson 75mins), Masson (Malloy 84 mins) Barr. Subs Used : Thomson, Molloy, Cameron. Subs Unused: Ferguson,J McCormack, D McCormack, O’Neill

Annan Athletic:: Mitchell, Black, Chisholm, McNiff, Watson, Sloan (Davidson 67mins), Swinglehurst, (McStay – 45 mins), Logan (McColm 45mins), Weatherson, Hopkirk Todd, Subs McColm, McStay, Davidson. Subs not used – Brannan, Omar, Flynn,Gemmell.


Ref: Barry Cook. Assistant Refs: John McCrossan, Simon Maclean

Site Map